Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rainy days and spring soups

Well old blog, old pal, I've been very neglectful. I apologize for the lack of blogging. I have no excuse. It's not like I haven't been busy cooking all fall and winter. I just got out of the habit of writing. It is easy to do, but yet so silly cause when I write I always feel good.

So winter is over, spring is here. In Portland, that means rain and flowers. I don't mind the rain, really. I don't get what all the fuss is about. Maybe it is my midwestern roots, but it isn't cold, it's green as hell so what if it's raining. The temperature rarely drops below freezing and that is just fine by me. I don't want to live somewhere where it is hot and dry anyways. All that heat makes me suspicious. I embrace the opportunity to wear fleece for 80% of the year and have 2 good rain coats. Plus, the rain gives me an excuse to stay in, make soup, and knit. What more can a gal ask for?

What is new? Well, I have decided I need to blog more. I am considering changing the format of my strange little blog to more of a personal journey blog. That way I am not forced only to write about food, but also to write myself, what I'm up to, and of course, knitting.

I've had two big changes this winter. I made some friends in my new town and I learned to knit. Both of these accomplishments have made Portland an even better place to live. I took a knitting class at Northwest Wools. I knew I would love knitting before I even picked up a needle. I started knitting in early December and joined a knitting group in January. I have made so many things, it is kind of crazy. The only bad part is that knitting in front of the TV is easy so I've ended up watching more TV. I guess tried to pawn it off like, well, I'm not watching it, it's just on. I have had my fill of Law and Order.

I will post some pictures soon. Here is a new recipe for you......

In honor of SPRING

Spring White Bean soup w/ greens

Addapted from White Bean and Escarole Soup by Mollie Katzen in the Enchanted Broccoli Forest. This recipe needed some serious help. It was BORING and I made it fabulous. All it takes is a few herbs and some broth. Seriously, who mades soup w/o broth, wtf.

2T Olive Oil
1 large chopped onion
2 stalks celery chopped
2 medium carrots diced
1 T. better than bullion
6 c water (or veggie broth and skip the bullion)
1 bay leaf
1 c dried white beans* (i like the tiny ones) or equivalent canned -probably 2 cans
10 cloves chopped garlic
1 bunch of minced greens like chard, collard, escarole, kale, spinach (i used red chard - don't tell chad - he thinks it's spinach)
1 t dried thyme
1 t dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

*Prepare beans day in advance or quick cook day of. Rinse beans, soak overnight in cold water. Next day, rinse beans, add 2-3 c water and one bay leaf. Heat on stove. Bring to a boil. Boil for 7 min. Turn heat down. Simmer partially covered 1 hr or till done. Check after 1/2 hr. Quick cook method - Rinse beans. Add 2-3c water and 1 bay leaf. Heat to boil. Boil for 7 min. Remove from heat. Wait one hour. Rinse beans, add fresh water. Bring to a boil. Simmer partially covered 1 hour or less till done.

Chop veggies. Heat oil over medium heat in pan and add veggies. Cook till onions are transluscent. Add water and bring to a boil. Add spices and veggie bullion (aka better than bullion). Stir well. Simmer covered 20 min. Add cooked white beans, chopped greens, and garlic. Stir in, cover, cook 10 min. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot w/ some grated parmasan cheese on top. YUM.

Hint: don't tell people there are cooked greens in it unless you know they like them. This soup is good, but people are afraid of cooked greens. I say, trick 'em into eating more greens!

No comments: