Thursday, September 11, 2008

oh crepe!

Tomorrow is the day I've been waiting for since we moved! OUR COUCH GETS DELIVERED! I will post a picture of it, don't worry. It's red and going to be awesome.

So, what have I been up to? I've had a very busy week so far and am really enjoying today's laziness. I am doing quite a bit of volunteering and really enjoying. I am working w/ an art center to help w/ their annual benefit auction and also spending time as a companion to the elderly at an assisted living facility. This week I met with some folks from the art center and we brainstormed about our mailing announcement, what items sold well at last years benefit auction, and how to procure more items for this years auction. I've also met a new friend and we've been walking 3-4 times a week in the park. It is great to have someone to talk w/ and to have somewhere to go!

I haven't neglected my kitchen. It seems like everything I make lately is very large and we eat leftovers for days! I am excited to post some new pics.

Here are some apples in my yard!


Here are the plums! The plums are so good and I eat them all the time. This weekend I'm going to try to make a plum cake or something.


We went hiking at Tryon Creek State Park and saw a many woodpeckers. This was the best pic even though we saw much bigger ones!


After having savory crepes at a restaurant, I decided to try my hand at these delish little things.




First, I froze to tofu in the package. I took it out the morning I was going to cook so it could defrost. When it was time for dinner, I made a stir fry of onion, peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and tofu. Then I made a peanutty sauce w/ 1c of veg broth mixed w/ 3 T of natural peanut butter, a few dashes of soy sauce, some spicy red pepper flakes, chopped cilantro, and chopped green onions. After lightly cooking the veggies and tofu, I added the sauce and simmered until it was all done! Meanwhile, I made the crepes. Crepes are not easy. That's for sure. I decided to follow a vegan crepe recipe. While they tasted awesome, I had a hard time getting them to turn golden brown. Luckily, they were delicious. I topped then w/ a little shredded unsweetened coconut and some slivered almonds. I like a nice garnish.

I also made the millet stuffed zucchini recipe from Vegan w/ a Vengeance. This time I decided to use quinoa instead of millet. I have been eating millet porridge for breakfast, so decided on quinoa for dinner. Unfortunately, I just learned it is not good for people who have thyroid disease to eat too much millet. Great. Of course, I finally find a healthy breakfast grain I love and I'm supposed to avoid it. Lame. Luckily, I do like quinoa.

This is a picture of zucchini stuffed w/ tomatoes and quinoa and seitan cutlets w/ mushroom gravy (from Veganomican). I do love me some veggie gravy.


Next is the feast upon which i gave chad the next day.....leftovers. He claimed to need bread w/ his gravy and i had some beans to use up. He had a food baby after this meal.



Here are some pics of a black berry and strawberry crisp I made last week. I had picked all the berries on the side of the road near my house. There are TONS of berries and I plan to go back tomorrow and get some more. It is amazing to me that strawberries are still available out here! Go Oregon! Get your fruit on! The recipe is your standard crisp - whole wheat flour, oats, cinnamon, vegan marg. I modified the recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.




Last but not least....this is a pic of my lunch from my new Co op, Food Front. I am in love w/ the kale slaw! It is made w/ sunflower seeds and has a slightly asian flavor. Also, the spicy baked tofu is to die for. Really, I almost perished. I added two olives because it was my lunch and I like olives.

No comments: