Friday, August 15, 2008

The devil's candy - high fructose corn syrup

I'm going to start off by appologizing in advance for sounding preachy. We all have our opinions. I have very strong opinions about pretty much everything, but freedom of speech being what it is, I will blog.

I don't know anyone who would say that they like high fructose corn syrup, but people are consuming tons of it all across America. I know, I know, no one wants to hear any more about me and my obsession from steering clear of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). I can't help it, people. I'm obsessed. I know I have a very high standard for food (aka food snob), but let's face it, we are what we eat.

If you haven't already, the two basic documentaries you must see are:

"Supersize Me" by Morgan Spurlock watch it here
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1432315846377280008

and

"King Corn" by Aaron Woolf, Curt Ellis and Ian Cheney - see trailer here
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/kingcorn/

After seeing King Corn last spring, I have made a much more conscious effort to eliminate or at least minimize HFCS from my diet. I didn't realize all the foods that it is in! Prior to minimizing HFCS, I was purchasing whole grain bread, whole grain crackers, ketchup, bbq sauce, juice, salad dressing, mayo, and who knows what else with HFCS. When I looked at the ingredients of my favorite "all natural" dressing and it said high fructose corn syrup, I was shocked. Items can still be considered all natural and contain HFCS. That is CRAZY! There is nothing natural about high fructose corn syrup. It is hard for me to explain how frustrating it is to shop at Fred Meyer. The bread that they offer in the all natural section is $5.50 or more per loaf! That is crazy. Plus, I want to buy my bread locally. I don't want bread that was made in California. All I want is 100% whole wheat bread that has NO SUGAR and is made in Portland, OR. You'd think that wasn't a tall order. I don't have a car and currently, I can only walk to the Fred Meyer. I can take the bus to the New Seasons Market or wait for Chad to come home and use the car, but I just would rather walk (duh, I'm stuborn). I can't wait for the new Food Front Coop in Hillsdale, Portland, OR to open. Finally, I will be able to walk to get groceries!

Let's talk briefly about syrup. I like pancakes. I haven't bought maple syrup yet because it is so expensive. Sure, I could buy Mrs. Butterworths or Aunt Jemima, but quess what folks? That is not pure maple syrup. It is mostly high fructose corn syrup. I copied the ingredients listed from the Aunt Jemima for their original syrup from their website.

INGREDIENTS: CORN SYRUP, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, WATER, CELLULOSE GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, SALT, SODIUM BENZOATE AND SORBIC ACID (PRESERVATIVES), ARTIFICIAL AND NATURAL FLAVORS, SODIUM HEXAMETAPHOSPHATE.

Who wants pancakes now? GROSS. Not only is there high fructose corn syrup, but also corn syrup. The top too ingredients are unnatural processed sugar and that is NASTY.

The problem is the cost of natural 100% pure maple syrup. The cheapest I've seen is $6.99 at Fred Meyer vs. aunt jemima which is around $2. That is just crazy.

I have also been reading books about food for a while now. I really like the book "Cooking the Whole Foods" way by Christina Pirello. I've also been rereading "Diet for a Small Planet" by Francis Moore Lappe and the Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (I can't wait to read his other book, "In the Defense of Food").

Here are some articles I've been reading.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/02/business/yourmoney/02syrup.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/06/AR2008030603294.html

I hope I didn't come off too strong. I believe we need a food revolution in this country. Let's start with lobbying corporations to remove unnessary additives to food. Let's start eating more natural whole unprocessed foods. That would be a great beginning! I'll end with a quote from the second article I posted above.

"The bottom line: The more fuel, energy and chemicals that go into processing a food, the less nutritious that food probably is. So steering clear of high-fructose corn syrup can't be bad for your health -- or the planet."--evianna hartman

Some healthy options for treats??

Here are some!

HUMMUS
I make my own with dried beans, tahini, olive oil, water, garlic, lemon juice, and salt. Serve w/ oils and whole wheat pitas. Sprinkle with paprika.


It is really hot here this week and I can't bare to turn on the oven so I made a raw mixed berry pie! It turned out really good!



I will admit was a little weary of a raw pie, but it tastes awesome and if you like, serve w/ ice cream (w/ real sugar not HFCS!).

Here is the recipe I adapted for a few that I read on line. Now this is healthy dessert!

Mixed Berry Raw Pie
Crust
1 1/2 c raw nuts - i used walnuts
3/4 c dried pitted plums - you could use date if you like

soak together in water for 30 minutes or more. drain. pulse in food processor till combined. press into pie plate.

Filling
5 cups mixed berries - i used 4 cups sliced strawberries and 1 cup blueberries
8 dried plums - pitted and soaked in water for 30 min.
lemon juice

arrange 4 cups of berries in pie crust. put remaining one cup of berries, drained dried plums, and lemon juice in food processor. pulse till combined. dump over sliced berries in crust.

refrigerate for 30 min or more to set.

There you have it. A no added sugar raw pie bursting with tons of fruit flavor and made with all natural ingredients. If you like berries and nuts, you'll love this pie.


Beth

No comments: